RSK Hop 4.0.1 and 4.1.1 Are Here (Mainnet versions)
UPDATE Jan 17th, 2023: The patch network upgrade was successfully activated on block #4,976,300. The Core Development team, in partnership with the Rootstock community, is currently in the final phase of the peg-out service remediation process and will be sharing updates soon.
Summary: The RSK network will undergo a patch network upgrade on block #4,976,300. This is a mandatory upgrade; users who adhere to these changes must update their nodes to one of the latest versions.
As described in the RSK peg-out service outage incident report, the RSK Core Development team has been working on a definite solution to the peg-out service issue. As part of the defined action plan, we are making a Mainnet patch release available to the general public today. This new RSK release has been published in our GitHub repository and contains consensus changes that will activate on Mainnet on block #4,976,300.
We are making two new releases available:
- RSK Hop 4.0.1: recommended for users running RSK Hop 4.0.0.
- RSK Hop 4.1.1: recommended for users running RSK Hop 4.1.0.
This is a patch network upgrade exclusively for RSK Mainnet. All nodes in the network need to run a compatible client version supporting these new consensus rules to work correctly. Consequently, if you adhere to these changes, you must upgrade to the desired new client version before the network upgrade is activated. Otherwise, the non-updated nodes will remain on an incompatible chain.
What changes are included in Hop 4.0.1 and 4.1.1?
The consensus changes included in this version are:
- Align RSK P2SH redeem script with Bitcoin Core standard transactions checks (RSKIP-353)
- Adjust the number of block confirmations for a PowPeg migration period (RSKIP-357)
For a detailed description of each consensus change introduced in this network upgrade, please refer to RSKIP 358 Network Upgrade (patch): Hop 4.0.1. You can also find a complete list of the changes introduced in the corresponding GitHub milestone.
When will the network upgrade happen?
RSK Hop 4.0.1 and 4.1.1 will activate at block #4,976,300. According to the current conditions of the network, activation is likely to occur on Monday, January 16th, 2023, at around 11:00pm UTC. Depending on the RSK Mainnet network’s average block time progresses, this date can change.
When will the peg-out service be resumed on RSK Mainnet?
The release of RSKj 4.0.1/4.1.1 for Mainnet is part of the final process for the peg-outs incident resolution, comprising the following three steps:
- RSKj patch version released: as described in this blog post, the release of versions 4.0.1 and 3.1.1 is happening on Monday, December 26th, 2022.
- RSKj patch activation: patch activation on RSK Mainnet is happening on block #4,976,300. According to the current conditions of the network, this is expected to occur around January 16th, 2023, 11:00pm UTC.
- PowPeg address migration: for the new RSK P2SH redeem script to activate, a PowPeg migration needs to be executed. This is the final step of the process, for which support from at least one Bitcoin mining pool is required for a set of migration Bitcoin transactions to be processed as described in the RSK peg-out service outage incident report. Once this step is completed, the peg-out service on RSK Mainnet will resume its normal operations. We expect this step to be completed the following weeks after the patch’s activation. We will keep the community informed about dates after the RSK patch activation happens.
It’s important to remind users not to use the RSK native peg-out service until the above-described process is completed. In the meantime, users can do RBTC to BTC conversions using Sovryn’s FastBTC or Liquality wallet swaps.
Is there anything I need to consider when upgrading to Hop 4.0.1 or 4.1.1?
There is no other special consideration besides updating your node before the network upgrade activation happens at the defined block number.
RSKj Hop 4.0.1’s sha256 sum is 0ed5aa42ba590be6d4947ac48362af57e46f4f228d554a1c26f79e84a0784dc1 rskj-core-4.0.1-HOP-all.jar.
RSKj Hop 4.1.1’s sha256 sum is c71b644e6080e7e1b42b34b075f51ee37de49ab956282e51ca5f115d73a90c1f rskj-core-4.1.1-HOP-all.jar.
See the Reproducible Build guide for further details.
How do I report problems with this version?
It’s essential for us to know any problem you may have while running Hop 4.0.1 or 4.1.1. Please reach out on RSK Open Slack or by creating issues in the RSK GitHub repository.
How do I report security vulnerabilities?
If you find a security issue, please contact us at email@example.com, or report it through our bug bounty program. We reward security experts, software developers, and hackers who dedicate time and effort to improving and protecting the RSK platform.
Do you have further questions?
Please get in touch with us through our RSK Open Slack for technical questions and support.
You can also reach out with any feedback you would like to share with us through our social media channels and forums: